1. Guns mostly fell silent in Syria and Russian air raids stopped on Saturday, as a cessation of hostilities appeared to hold for its first day, described by the United Nations as the best hope for peace in five years of civil war.
2. President Barack Obama directed his national security team on Thursday to press the US-led international campaign to destroy the Islamic State group “on all fronts.”
3. Despite Egypt’s relentless efforts to seal off its side of the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, a steady stream of Gazans are managing to leave the Strip and join the ranks of Islamic State fighters locked in combat with Egyptian forces in the Sinai.
4. Christians in northern Mali face a barrage of threats from radical Islamists giving them little choice but to leave their homes for safer pastures.
5. China has deployed fighter jets to a disputed island in the South China Sea, and U.S. officials said it’s not the first time China has placed J-11 and J-7 fighter jets on Woody Island, part of the Paracel island chain in the hotly disputed region.
The prophetic passage of Scripture that we are looking at today is Isaiah 63:1-6.
Our second coming quote for today is from Millard J. Erickson. He said, “With the exception of the certainty of death, the one eschatological doctrine on which orthodox theologians most agree is the second coming of Christ. It is indispensable to eschatology [last things]. It is the basis of the Christian’s hope, the one event which will mark the beginning of the completion of God’s plan.”