1. In a major shift of focus in the battle against the Islamic State, the Obama administration is planning to establish a new military base in Anbar Province, Iraq, and to send 400 more American military trainers to help Iraqi forces retake the city of Ramadi.
2. Chinese warships and aircraft on Wednesday passed through the Bashi Channel between Taiwan and the Philippines to carry out routine planned exercises in the Western Pacific.
3. North Korea issued a threat to America, promising to “wage a cyber war against the US to hasten its ruin.”
4. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports there were more than 230,000 documented deaths since the beginning of the Syrian Civil War in 2011, as well as an estimated 90,000 deaths that went undocumented.
5. Militants with explosives battled Egyptian security forces outside the famed ancient Karnak temple in Luxor on Wednesday, injuring at least four people in an attempt to strike another blow on Egypt’s fragile tourism industry.
The prophetic passage of Scripture we are looking at today is 1 Samuel 9:8-10 which reads: “And the servant answered Saul again, and said, Behold, I have here at hand the fourth part of a shekel of silver: that will I give to the man of God, to tell us our way. (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.) Then said Saul to his servant, Well said; come, let us go. So they went unto the city where the man of God was.”
Our second coming quote for today is from C.H. Spurgeon. He said: “If I knew that our Lord would come this evening, I should preach just as I mean to preach; and if I knew he would come during this sermon, I would go on preaching until he did.”