This is the Second Coming Watch Sunday Roundup for September 7, 2014. On the Roundup we feature the top 10 prophecy-related news stories that happened this past week which point towards the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ and the end of the world as we know it.
1. The now-former Israeli President Shimon Peres has proposed a new global peace initiative to Pope Francis: a “United Nations of Religions,” given that most wars today have religious, not nationalistic, undercurrents. The Vatican said Peres pitched the initiative during a 45-minute meeting on Thursday in the Apostolic Palace. Francis promised the Vatican’s attention to the proposal.
2. Residents of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine said heavy shelling could be heard Sunday near the airport, raising new fears that a cease-fire signed Friday by rebels and the Kyiv government is on the verge of collapse.
3. The Islamic State, which is fighting to redraw the map of the Middle East, has been coaching Egypt’s most dangerous militant group, complicating efforts to stabilize the biggest Arab nation.
4. NATO approved wide-ranging plans on Friday to boost its defences in eastern Europe, aiming to reassure allies nervous about Russia’s intervention in Ukraine that the U.S.-led alliance will shield them from any attack. The 28-nation alliance also agreed for the first time to add cyber defence to its core mission, meaning that a major cyber attack on a member state could trigger a military response.
5. Two weeks ago, Israel’s Foreign Ministry proposed to the nation’s cabinet a plan for stationing foreign troops in the Gaza Strip to monitor rebuilding and demilitarization efforts in the wake of the war there this summer.
6. Just 10 days after a ceasefire ended a 50-day Israel-Hamas conflict, an Israeli TV report said the Israeli army is “making plans and training” for “a very violent war” against Hezbollah in south Lebanon, without specifying when this war might break out.
7. U.S. warplanes launched four air strikes against Islamic State militants threatening western Iraq’s Haditha Dam early on Sunday, broadening Washington’s campaign against the fighters.
8. Hawaii’s Big Island has declared a state of emergency as lava from an active volcano threatens nearby homes, which could be evacuated within days.
9. Although Americans have said the Pledge of Allegiance the same way for the past 60 years, a survey from the American Humanist Association found that one-third would like the words “under God” removed, after being told those words were not part of the original text.
10. The Kurdish Regional Government’s director of U.S. affairs says the United States is not doing enough to supply vital advanced weapons to their security forces in their fight against Islamic State militants.
The Bible says in Revelation 12:7-9: “And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”
Our Second Coming quote for today is from Chrysostom. He said: “In the first advent God veiled his divinity to prove the faithful; in the second advent he will manifest his glory to reward their faith.”
You can read these stories in more detail and get more prophecy-related news at SecondComingHerald.com.