This is the Second Coming Watch Sunday Roundup for August 10, 2014. On the Roundup we feature the top 10 prophecy-related news stories that happened this past week which point towards the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ and the end of the world as we know it.
1. With American strikes beginning to show clear effects on the battlefield, Kurdish forces counterattacked Sunni militants in northern Iraq on Sunday, regaining control of two strategic towns with aid from the air. The American airstrikes, carried out by drones and fighter jets, were intended to support the Kurdish forces fighting to defend Erbil, the capital of the Iraqi Kurdistan region.
2. Israel and Palestine held their fire early on Monday at the start of a new 72-hour ceasefire proposed by Egypt that took effect at 2100 GMT.
3. The Russia-backed separatists in Ukraine are on the defensive, fighting to hold on to strongholds like the cities of Donetsk and Luhansk. If ever Russian President Vladimir Putin might move into Ukraine with thousands of regular troops now would seem to be the moment. That prospect is concentrating minds in Washington, Europe, and at NATO headquarters in Brussels.
4. Russia’s Northern Fleet’s anti-submarine forces detected and forced out a US submarine from Russian boundary waters.
5. The second installment of this summer’s season of supermoons is happening Sunday. Stargazers who missed the July 12 supermoon will have another chance to see the bright lunar phenomenon from all around the world.
6. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry warned his Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, on Saturday that “Russia should not intervene in Ukraine under the guise of humanitarian convoys or any other pretext of ‘peacekeeping.'”
7. Special forces loyal to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki were deployed in strategic areas of Baghdad on Sunday night after he delivered a tough speech indicating he would not cave in to pressure to drop a bid for a third term.
8. Four weeks of fighting between Hamas militants and Israel fueled a rise in anti-Semitic outbursts across Europe, ranging from violent attacks to chants of “Death to the Jews” at anti-Israel demonstrations. Roger Cukierman, president of the Representative Council of French Jewish Institutions, said, “This is the worst violence we have had in 15 years… anti-Semitism…is now on a mass level.”
9. There have been about 16 Russian forays in the Alaskan and north Canadian area in the last 10 days. It is not entirely uncommon to see Russian planes in this airspace, however, the increased number of such planes seems to be triggering some concern amongst the aviation military community, particularly given the increased tension in Ukraine.
10. An escalating civil war is preventing humanitarian aid from reaching those most affected by famine in South Sudan. The United Nations Security Council expressed “grave concern” over the ever-worsening food situation, calling it the “worst in the world.”
The Bible says in Mark 8:38: “Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
Our Second Coming quote for today is from St. Augustine. He said: “He who loves the coming of the Lord is not he who affirms it is far off, nor is it he who says it is near. It is he who, whether it be far or near, awaits it with sincere faith, stead-fast hope and fervent love.”
You can read these stories in more detail and get more prophecy-related news at SecondComingHerald.com.