This is the Second Coming Watch Sunday Roundup for June 1, 2014. On the Roundup we feature the top 10 prophecy-related news stories that happened this past week which point towards the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ and the end of the world as we know it.
1. The US defence secretary has accused China of “destabilising” the South China Sea, saying its action threatened the region’s long-term progress.
2. A U.S. defense official said on Friday that Russia has withdrawn most of its troops from the Ukrainian border, but seven battalions, amounting to thousands of men, remain.
3. The Chinese government has defended its recent demolishment of churches by saying that the church buildings violated zoning restrictions. However, an internal government document reviewed by The New York Times makes it clear the demolitions are part of a strategy to reduce Christianity’s public profile.
4. Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a treaty with Kazakhstan and Belarus on Thursday creating a vast trading bloc which he hopes will challenge the economic might of the United States, the European Union and China.
5. World food prices rose in the first quarter of the year for the first time since their all-time high in August 2012, driven by rising demand in China, drought in the United States and unrest in Ukraine.
6. A moderately strong earthquake struck southwestern China near the border with Myanmar on Friday, injuring at least 33 people.
7. Israeli President Shimon Peres and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas will meet at the Vatican and pray for peace together at an unprecedented gathering on June 8.
8. Jerusalem is worried about the results of last week’s European Parliament elections, in which far right and even neo-Nazi parties drastically gained strength.”
9. The U.S. Air Force has deployed two of its most advanced long-distance surveillance drones to a base in northern Japan over the past week, enhancing its ability to monitor nuclear activities in North Korea and Chinese naval operations.
10. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said on Saturday that the formation of a Palestinian unity government backed by rival factions Hamas and Fatah will be announced on Monday, adding that Israel already warned him it would take punitive steps against the new alliance.
The Bible says in Mark 13:35-37: “Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.”
Our Second Coming quote for today is from G. Campbell Morgan. He said: “To me the second coming is the perpetual light on the path which makes the present bearable. I never lay my head on the pillow without thinking that perhaps before the morning breaks, the final morning may have dawned. I never begin my work without thinking that He may interrupt my work and begin His own.”
You can read these stories in more detail and get more prophecy-related news at SecondComingHerald.com.