This is the Second Coming Watch Sunday Roundup for May 25, 2014. On the Roundup we feature the top 10 prophecy-related news stories that happened this past week which point towards the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ and the end of the world as we know it.
1. Pope Francis spoke three times Saturday against the violence “lacerating” Syria and on Sunday received an acceptance from the Israeli and Palestinian presidents to visit him at the Vatican next month to discuss embattled peace efforts.
2. Russia’s top general said on Friday that Moscow would retaliate against increased NATO activity near its border as tensions with the western alliance over Ukraine
3. India is raising a new mountain strike corps of nearly 90,000 soldiers to strengthen its defense along its disputed border with China in the high reaches of the Himalayas.
4. An earthquake beneath the sea shook northern Greece and western Turkey on Saturday, with 266 people reportedly injured in Turkey.
5. A moderate earthquake struck southwest China on Saturday, injuring about a dozen people and damaging thousands of houses.
6. Israeli Air Force chief Major General Amir Esh-el responded to news of major budget cuts in the IDF on Friday and insisted that the air force is ready to defend Israel from any threat – especially Syria.
7. Half of the United States’ fruit, nuts and vegetables are grown in the Central Valley, one of the planet’s most fertile growing regions in California. Now, for the first time this century, the entire state is in severe to exceptional drought.
8. Japanese land, sea and air forces combined to simulate the recapture of a remote island on Thursday, a small drill that nonetheless underscores the country’s concerns about far-flung territory claimed by China.
9. Jihadists have launched a fresh bid to take over the Syria-Iraq border area and set up a so-called Islamic state they can control.
10. China’s President appeared to warn some Asian nations on Wednesday about strengthening military alliances to counter China, saying this would not benefit regional security.
The Bible says in Zechariah 14:3-4: “Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.”
Our Second Coming quote for today is from Matthew Henry. He said: “Christ will come when he pleases, to show his sovereignty, and will not let us know when, to teach us our duty.”
You can read these stories in more detail and get more prophecy-related news at SecondComingHerald.com.