This is the Second Coming Watch Sunday Roundup for May 18, 2014. On the Roundup we feature the top 10 prophecy-related news stories that happened this past week which point towards the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ and the end of the world as we know it.
1. Vowing to defend ethnic Russians wherever they live, President Vladimir Putin has embarked on an aggressive campaign to rebuild the pride and assertiveness of the Russian people, which he says was lost in the breakup of the Soviet Union. From annexing Crimea to collecting separatist petitions in Moldova to handing out passports to compatriots in the Baltics, Putin has spent recent weeks focused on neighboring countries, many of which have substantial ethnic Russian minorities. The strategy puts Russia on a collision course with the NATO defense alliance, because two of its members — Estonia and Latvia — have significant Russian-speaking minorities that have long complained of discrimination.
2. A senior U.S. official said on Thursday that China’s “provocative” actions in maritime disputes with its neighbors are straining ties with the United States, raising questions over how the world’s two biggest economies can continue to work together.
3. A confidential U.N. report says that despite apparently reducing illicit purchases that breach U.N. sanctions, Iran is pursuing development of ballistic missiles, posing an acute challenge to six powers negotiating with Tehran to rein in its nuclear program.
4. A strong and shallow undersea earthquake hit parts of Indonesia’s Sumatra island on Sunday, causing panic but there were no immediate reports of casualties.
5. ATM machines could soon be installed with devices that identify customers by reading the veins in their fingers.
6. Federal health officials said on Saturday that a U.S. citizen previously hospitalized in Indiana with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS, has passed the potentially fatal virus to an Illinois man.
7. Recent satellite images show two new North Korean frigates, the largest surface combat ships the nation’s navy has constructed in a quarter-century.
8. Israel says it has “no intention” of giving the Vatican sovereignty over a sensitive holy site in Jerusalem, in the wake of protests by ultra-Orthodox Jews ahead of Pope Francis’s visit this month.
9. U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel pledged to Israeli leaders on Friday that the U.S. “will do what we must” to prevent the Jewish state’s greatest fear of a nuclear-armed Iran.
10. The Israeli government on Sunday approved a three-year 50 million shekel plan to strengthen its economic ties with at least five Latin American countries, meant to help Israel decrease its dependency on Europe as its primary trading partner.
The Bible says in Acts 3:19-21: “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.”
George Eldon Ladd said, “Nowhere is salvation conceived of as a flight from history as in Greek thought; it is always the coming of God to man in history. Man does not ascend to God; God descends to man.”
You can read these stories in more detail and get more prophecy-related news at SecondComingHerald.com.